Ask the Experts
Ask the Experts
Andis gives you two options:
#1 Give your client a close shave with our new Superliner Shaver Head, #77120. By removing the T-blade and connecting the Shaver Head attachment, you are all set bump-free shaving and hair removal. The precision cutting heads glide over all types of skin without snagging, pulling or irritation for a smooth, razor-like finish. The Shaver Head Attachment removes hair and the heads adjust to accommodate curves and bone structure for a close shave. This shaver head was designed to significantly lessen razor bump discomfort by providing a smooth dry shave experience with the Andis close cutting SuperLiner trimmer. See our video.
#2 The new ProFoil Lithium Ion shaver #17150 has staggered shaver heads and titanium foils for ultra-close shaves. It also delivers up to two hours of non-stop shaving and can be used with the cord if the battery drains. It takes bump-free shaving to a whole new level!
Below are the qualifications for an Andis platform artist:
• Licensed barber and/or cosmetologist
• Licensed instructor in your state is a plus but not required
• Ongoing networking and has strong relationships with main players in the beauty and barber industry.
• Versatile portfolio from men to women haircuts used with Andis clippers.
• Passionate about the brand. Someone who knows Andis product and can get others excited about the brand.
• Passion for the industry. Live and breathe it.
• Experience with being on stage and presenting in the classroom. At least 1-2 years.
• Sales ability. With education and passion, can sell any Andis product put in front of them.
• Stage presence. A person can engage and maintain the audience's attention whether on stage or classroom. Appeals to both stylists and barbers.
• Open to learn. A person who is seeking out more education and is open to learn more from the beauty and barber industry.
• Independent and Adaptable. Our educators are independent contractors which means you will be on the road by yourself most times.
• Reliable. On time to events. Bring tools needed and is always prepared.
• Work 6-8 hours a day on their feet.
• Team player. Performs well with others and shows respect.
• Aligns with the Andis values and vision.
Ask yourself the following questions for preference:
• Adjustable vs. detachable?
• Corded or cordless clipper?
• High volume clipper cutting shop? Moderate to light volume clipper cutting shop?
If you are at a busy location (high volume clipper cuts), most likely you will choose rotary motor to power through your haircuts because it can keep up with the pace of your shop and all the various hair types especially thick, coarse hair that sits in your chair. Equal amount of power, equal amount of speed.
If you work at a location where you do light to moderate clipper cutting, you may find yourself fine working with a magnetic motor US-1 Clipper. However, as mentioned before you want the other types of motors in your kit, in case you have a few customers who have thick, coarse hair that you need to power through.
If you’re a student, the Stylist Combo kit is great choice. In your kit, you will have a high-speed magnetic motor clipper (US-1) that is lightweight, whisper-quiet, and can be used on wet or dry hair. The US-1 will be paired with a high-speed magnetic motor trimmer with deep-tooth blade that will provide clean, crisp edges. The deep-tooth blade makes it easy to do light fading around the edges and dry shaving.
These are a few examples. Please connect with me if you need any more assistance on choosing the right Andis products for you. firstname.lastname@example.org
Hi-Lo Method - Whether you are using attachments or blades, start with the highest length and work your way down the lowest length that was discussed in your consultation with your customer. For example, if your customer asked for a 1/8 (#1) attachment with a closed-blade, start with taking vertical sections with the 3/8 (#3) attachment from nape to approx. the round of the head all around the head to remove bulk using a rocking outwards motion. Once complete with 3/8 attachment, change to ¼ attachment, complete the same process except leave 1-2 inches of the previously cut section. Lastly, change to the 1/8 (#1) attachment and complete around the edges only around the head.
Lo-Hi Method - The opposite of the above. Start with the 1/8 (#1) attachment around the edges (approx. 1-2 inches wide), all around the head taking vertical sections using a rocking outwards motion. Then, work your way up to the round of the head with ¼ (#2) attachment then 3/8 (#3) attachment.
Clipper-over-Comb Method - Use a 000 or 1 setting whether adjustable or detachable blade clipper. Start on the side of either head taking vertical sections at the length discussed at consultation with the customer and cut using an Andis clipper comb (pink, white, or black depending on the hair color) around the head to remove bulk.
With any method above, proceed to the top interior and use shear-style cutting with your Andis clipper.
Submit a question
Before submitting a question please check above to see if we've already answered it. Thank you.
As international manager of education and style, Aileen Nunez works with our talented Andis educators to deliver the very best in clipper education to hair professionals in the U.S. and abroad.